The Jimmy and Rosemary Breslin
American Writer Award
“Journalism should be truthful and entertaining. You know, with news and important facts you can entertain people too, have a little humor. Life isn’t all that deadly all the time, but while you’re having fun, tell the truth. If every word of a column is deadly serious, I can’t read it. It makes me throw up." - Jimmy Breslin
The Breslin family is pleased to launch a writing competition to highlight the journalistic voices of NYC public school students.
The Jimmy and Rosemary Breslin “American Writer Award” is to honor future writers and all their tomorrows.
DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 15, 2018
- Open to all 12th-grade students in NYC public and charter schools.
- Non-fiction, New York-centered story in 800 words or fewer.
- Writing that is sharp, moving, inspirational, humorous and original!
- Additional information is available here.
- Semifinalists will be notified by mid-May. A ceremony for the winners will be held in early June.
- Eight winners will be selected:
First place: $2,500
Second place: $1,500
Third place: $500
Five honorary winners: $100 each
Resources about Jimmy Breslin:
- NY Times: Jimmy Breslin, Legendary New York City Newspaper Columnist, Dies at 88
- NY Daily News: A look back at some of Jimmy Breslin’s best columns
- Newsday: Breslin: Digging JFK grave was his honor